Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Belief

A few days back I was having a philosophical discussions with one of my friends. Somewhere in the midst of talking about love and faith she turned her big bushy head to me and asked, "Why do you believe in God?". That moment I felt like I had slammed into a wall. Why did I believe in God? I did not have an answer at hand. I just stuttered, stammered and came up with a reason why, a reason that I just can't seem to recollect right now. But today while saying my prayers I realized why I actually did believe in God.

As a child I followed the faith of my parents. I did what they did. I believed in what they believed. I never questioned anything. I believed in God because my parents told me to. I did not want to get all rebellious and say no. It just wasn't worth the trouble. But as I grew up, from a pimply adolescent to an even more pimply teenager, life handed me a few important lessons. Lessons that were more important than Maths and Science. My future depended on how well I learnt these lessons. I was never a bright student in school and in life. Hence, I had to redo a few lessons in both.

I'm not here to judge those who don't believe in God. I have no way of telling what is in peoples hearts. I cannot judge a persons belief. I just want to tell you the reason why I believe. I believe that faith is the very foundation of our being. Sometime we have implicit faith on people only to be let down in the most cruelest of ways. Trusting and having faith in someone means that you are willing to let go of your anchor and depend and trust that person so much that every fiber of your being believes in them. Having faith is like moving away from your comfort zone and showing them your most vulnerable side.

Many times in life we feel let down and cheated by the people we love the most. We, as humans very easily become unfaithful. We lose faith in things easily. If life don't go according to our plan we lose faith.I'm a person who trusts people easily and in my life I've had incidents where I could not count on anyone be it friends or family.  At my most darkest days, when I hit rock bottom, the small iota of belief that I had in God is what made me the person I am today. Today I feel wiser because of all the tests that God has put me through. And I know that the important decision that I will make for the future will be inspired from the lessons I learned in the past.

It is very easy to not believe. It is very, very easy to turn a blind eye to all the signs that show the presence of a greater force. You don't have to look for scientific proof or read ancient scriptures. All you've got to do is just look deeper into your life, your past and you will find something that you overlooked.


"Belief is a beautiful armor

But makes for the heaviest sword
Like punching under water
You never can hit who you're trying for

Some need the exhibition
And some have to know they tried
It's the chemical weapon
For the war that's raging on inside"



- John Mayer, "Belief"

1 comment:

Nia said...

Zarine, it was profound words. You were very honest about it. I believe in God because I know that no one could read me in and out like He does. I know that there's this sole power which keeps my intact and keep on going. If it's not god, that I don't know what it is.